Today is my birthday and I am so excited to celebrate with a few people I love, but also cheers to Matt for finishing busy season just in time! I have really missed him– he’s been working 12+ hour days this past month, so I am thrilled to have my bestie back into my evening routine, including our pizza date tonight! I mean, how else would I spend my bday?
My friend is coming into town for lunch this afternoon, and then a couple other girlfriends are meeting us later on for champagne in the neighborhood. It’s going to be a good day. In light of the last year of my twenties, I thought I would share a few things you may not know about me…
1. I was born in Akron, Ohio and moved to Cherry Creek, Colorado when I was 5 and lived there up until 5th grade. Then we moved to Danville, California, so I grew up in the East Bay most of my life.
2. I cheered in high school, which is one of my favorite memories looking back.
3. I have 5 siblings! A 25-year-old sister (Taylor), 20-year old brother (Bailey) (and my half-siblings) 9-year-old sister (Mattea), 7-year-old brother (Milas), and 4-year old brother (Crosby).
4. I grew up with a friend whose mother was an interior designer, and their house was a total design dream. I think that’s where my passion roots from, because since that memory, I know I spent each week rearranging my room and eventually asking my parents to help rearrange our living room at the time. It has been non-stop since.
5. My parents had me when they were really young (19), and split up when I was 18. After high school, family life (slash life in general) felt a bit rocky. I think this is where I really started to pour my heart into my blogging which gave me so much joy and distraction from tough times. I attended FIDM in San Diego to study merchandise marketing and moved back to the East Bay when I was 20. If you’ve experienced a divorce, you know that things eventually settle down as best they can. My dad lives in North Carolina with the kids and step-mom, my mom is in Newport with my brother, Bailey, and my sister Taylor lives in Walnut Creek (with her boyfriend, whose name is also Taylor) ?
6. I moved to San Francisco in 2009 with my best friend, Steph (who now lives in Australia). My plan at that point was to work in the fashion industry, as I grew up passionate about clothing and had hopes of someday becoming a buyer. I worked as a stylist for a couple of years and eventually found a job in the digital space. I loved blogging and working online, so stumbled upon the chance to work for Google as a fashion curator for a product of theirs at the time called Boutiques. Sans Google days, I worked for a few agencies in the city and managed content campaigns for brands and lifestyle bloggers.
7. I moved to Australia in 2011 (after a couple years of nudging from Steph) and lived in Sydney near Bondi Beach. I was supposed to stay for a year, but ended up feeling homesick and missed San Francisco too much… so headed home after six months. I know, what was wrong with me!
8. I met Matt a little over three years ago. One of my good friends who grew up with his family introduced us. Thanks, Hil! Matt is also from Danville. He went to my rival high school but graduated as I was going into freshmen year, so never crossed paths.
9. The reason we decided on a Labradoodle (the whole story of Scout coming later this week!) is because I used to house-sit for a family in Presidio Heights five or so years ago and fell in love with their dog, Rojo. I had never heard of a doodle before and grew up wanting a golden retriever, but that dood changed the game, and we ended up going to the same breeder.
10. I’ve been blogging since I was in high school and have always felt passionate about fashion, interior design, and photography. One of my first blogs was called Coralgold, so lame…I know. I refuse to tell you the name of the first…
11. I don’t think I could ever not live locally to San Francisco / wine country / Carmel / Tahoe. They have all become our favorite, most-homey places in the world.
12. Favorite meal? Pizza.
13. I am obsessed with making lists and always have.
14. The book The Power of Now changed my life (as I mentioned here)
15. My favorite number is 11 (which also happens to be Matt’s AND our apartment number)
16. My favorite bands have stayed the same for years: The Lumineers and Local Natives (watch this whole video, whole.thing(!), and you will fall in love like I did years ago, they make me so happy it hurts!)
17. I have a soft spot for Frank Sinatra and listen to that vinyl quite regularly
18. I have a major fear of the ocean (Matt is trying to ease me into the idea of snorkeling in Hawaii, but I’m just not sure I can talk myself into that one…) and sharks (I snuck Jaws into my VCR growing up and it ruined me).
19. I’m afraid of flying (and so is Matt…which is a great time when turbulence kicks in).
20. You know this, but my drink of choice is red wine (a fruit forward Pinot Noir, a lighter Cab, and recently really loving red blends). If I’m beachside, piña colada.
21. My favorite place to wine taste in wine country is hands down, Duckhorn. I am so obsessed with their wines and the porch setting, it’s the best, but there’s also no place like our wine club, Scribe.
22. My current favorite song is Tiny Cities by Flume, and a song that never gets old to me is Sleep On The Floor by Lumineers.
23. I’m happiest when I’m with Matt and Scout, adventuring on a warm day / catching up with good friends and family.
24. I prefer Tahoe summers over winter.
25. My favorite color is a nude-y peach.
26. I’ve never been to Hawaii, and will be going for the first time in April! It’s been about six years since my last beach vacation.
27. My favorite thing about living in San Francisco? The friends who have turned into family over the past eight years, charming neighborhoods, easy access to everything I need, and being close to all my favorite places to visit.
28. My favorite restaurant in SF for a special occasion is Flour + Water.
29. I feel pretty lucky in the final stretch of my twenties because I have a little family of my own that I adore, wonderful friends, and a job I love– so I’m looking forward to seeing how 29 unfolds. 🙂